Tuesday 27 December 2011

New Year's Revelations...

Maxine intends to visit
Scotland more in 2012

AT this time of year I have this question for friends: “Are you making any New Year’s Resolutions?”
Some refuse point blank to make any, dismissing the entire notion as a self-induced straight jacket.
Others reel off a list of worthy pursuits that make you wish you’d never asked.
Funnily enough, the ones who don’t make any resolutions are often the ones you feel should.
So for 2012, I have decided to make some resolutions for the serially reluctant.
I’ll start close to home with my hubby who to my great disappointment utterly refuses to make any what he mockingly calls “New Year’s Revelations”.
Well, honey, how about bringing me flowers more often, making dinner more frequently and taking me out more?
Not much to ask is it?
Swapping roles, his resolutions for me would probably be that I stop hanging things on door handles.  But I suspect I would get off Scott Free since he doesn’t believe in making them in the first place!
But why stop there. I’d happy make resolutions for other folk too. Here’s my list for 2012, in no particular order…
Simon Cowell… Come back to X Factor and bring Cheryl with you, or axe the show.
Andy Murray… Win Wimbledon and/or Olympic gold in the tennis. Your country needs you.
Nick Clegg… Do the decent think and chuck David Cameron and his cronies; you are only prolonging the inevitable.
Michael Bublé … Please go away and do something less boring (and painful) instead.
Lord Leveson… Make sure your recommendations will rebuild the reputation of British journalists. How about suggesting journalists be licensed and if they break the rules or the law they lose the right to practice?
Last year, I resolved to eat porridge for breakfast, improve my backhand at tennis, invite friends over more for dinner and do more social networking on Twitter and Facebook. Hardly earth shattering, I’ll admit; but how did I fare? Well, not bad, but for the one that really would have been a hardship – eating porridge. I hate the stuff and no amount of honey, fruit compot or dried fruits can persuade me otherwise.
For 2012 I want to spend more time with my family in Edinburgh, have a summer holiday in Scotland and redecorate my house.
I might even manage to stop hanging bags on door handles.
What about you?...

No comments:

Post a Comment